Click for HondaJet Click for Dassault Click for Hawker Click for Daher-Socata Click for YachtForums

Jet Aviation Casualties

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by Jet News, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

Transair 737-200 recovered from the bottom of the Pacific.

2. Jet News

3. Jet News

Turkish TK42 had engine problems.

4. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The really unbelievable reason for the crash of the british F-35 B in the Med:

According to the UK media, the recent crash of a British F-35B during take off from HMS Queen Elizabeth was caused by a intake rain cover not removed before take off!

An F-35B Lightning aircraft belonging to the RAF 617 Squadron crashed in the Mediterranean Sea shortly after launching from the British aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth on Nov. 17, 2021. The aircraft was one of the eight British F-35Bs and ten U.S. Marine Corps F-35s currently embarked HMS Queen Elizabeth on her maiden operational cruise. The pilot, ejected from the stealth jet, was rescued and returned to the ship.

The pilot tried to abort his VSTOL T/O run, when he detected the loss of power but run out of available runway on the carrier deck and ejected.

What could have gone more wrong during this mssion. 3 or 4 ground crew failed to remove the intake cover during their flight preparations and gave a thumb up to the pilot but worst, the pilot either did not make a walk around at all prior stepping into his cockpit or did it with his helmet on and the dark visor down (Top Gun sends his regards). A loss of a 150 million $ aircraft only due to negligence and stupidness. Those intakes are as big as doors and the colour of those covers is signal red, unbelievable !!!!!!

The wreckage is located on the bottom of the Med sea in about 300 ft of depth. And not only the Royal Navy and the US Navy are very interested in raising the remains of the aircraft, the Russians are also already in the vicinity to have a look at the wreckage and take some souvernirs home.

Sorry, but I have no comprehension and apology for such "operations".
  5. Jet News

Yes I find this very hard to understand.

6. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

To me it looks more like a failed T/O then an aborted T/O. Luckily the pilot made a very quick decision to bailout. But with a T/O track parallel to the ships centerline, the pilot had a very good chance being run over by the carrier after his bailout.

I rather prefer conventional land based flight ops :).

A little video of my favorite aircraft and my former wing in northern Germany.

Phantoms forever, horrido !!!!
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  8. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

I say "aborted" in that it looks to me that the pilot realizes (albeit too late) that the jet isn't producing the necessary power by the time it reaches the ramp. He attempts to slow/stop the jet, but momentum carries the jet up the ramp at a very pedestrian pace and into the drink. Meanwhile the pilot earns himself a very nice, but unwanted, Martin-Baker necktie.

As for getting run over... it's likely this particular pilot didn't even get wet, as his 'chute got caught on the bow (er, technically the edge of the ramp) on the way down: https://twitter.com/CapHornier_/status/1465355738327441418 Does anyone know the height of the HMS Queen Elizabeth's ramp above the waterline? A good 30 meters or more I'd think.

Surely he deserves a new callsign!

Now, speaking of getting run over by the ship, I once read a story about that exact situation, but I cannot remember where... so I'll keep Googling until I can find a link to a credible source.
  9. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

As always, great find Kevin! It really looks like that the pilot was hanging on the bow on his parachute.

I was just making a joke via wording. These F-35 B are pretty complex aircrafts. The combination of a steerable nozzle on the main engine and the vertical forward lift engine needs very precise digital control. In comparison to the good old Harrier, for an old pilot like me, this aircraft is sience fiction. I have no clue, how complicated a VSTOL take-off abort may be.

The last landing and T/O, I have on an aircraft carrier, was during the visit of the USS Nimitz to northern Germany. The jets of the USS Nimitz were stationed on our airbase and our neigbour airbase during the visit. In return and as a little thank-you, the pilots of the USS Nimitz invited us to their ship. We were picked up by two of their helicopters and later flown back to our airbase.

Since then, I have operated my own (much smaller) helicopters many times on our own ships. But as a safety procedure, all of my ships will always have the SOLAS rescue boat in the water on standby and the fully rigged fire crew on standby close to the landing pad during heli ops.

Better safe than sorry!
  10. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

Carrier operations will always be the craziest "routine" operations in aviation. If you think about all the action that happens across the entirety of an airport (runways, taxiways, apron, hangars, etc.) but realize that it's all taking place on a flat-top that is around 10-12% of the surface area of a single runway at the average city's international airport... it kind of melts the brain.
  11. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

And there is really only one Navy in the whole world capable of conducting worldwide safe aircraft carrier operations with fixed wing fast jets, the US Navy! Honestly, VTOL jet and helicopter carriers don't count in that comparison. The large nuclear powered aircraft carriers with their life span of about 50 years have been evolved to a standard, that allows the reduction of a complete military airfield litterally to a size of a stamp.

The free world is depending on these capabilities. Hats off to those men and women working hard on these ships!

HTMO9
    JetForums and Kevin like this.
  12. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

13. Jet News

Attached Files:

14. Jet News

CEO of MyGoFlight dies after Cirrus SR22 crashes. Charles Schneider passed on Friday after the aircraft crashed the previous day near McGhee Tyson Airport in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Attached Files:

15. Jet News

UK’s East Midlands airport was the scene of a minor incident where ground crews failed/forgot to finish removing their equipment from around a departing Boeing 737-400 freighter. The piece of equipment in question was a towbar the ground crew left in front of the jet. Subsequently the aircraft taxiied over the towbar after Pushback for a flight to Vitoria in Spain.

Attached Files:

16. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

I came across a photo of the recovered F-35 on another forum. The report that indicated it was recovered "basically intact" was surprisingly accurate:

i-zmrq53D-X2.jpg
  17. Jet News

At least they recovered it as the fears of other nations recovering it before them would have been constantly thrown around.
  18. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

That was a close call during the stormy weekend in Europe. This Airbus A 321 almost crashed during his first landing attempt.

Jet News likes this.
  19. Jet News

Looks like it tail-struck as well.
  20. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Yep, I think that bird needed to be thoroughly inspected after its final landing. The passengers must have been pretty shocked by this first landing attempt.

Btw. "Every landing the pilot can walk away from, is a good landing" :).