Click for Gulfstream Click for Bombardier Click for Boeing Click for HondaJet Click for YachtForums

If money was no object...

Discussion in 'Jet Aviation Discussion' started by hepotec, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DieselDriver

DieselDriver New Member

No worries Aviator, this is a friendly discussion. :D Yes, Piaggio pitches the Avanti as capable of operating from just 3500ft. What they do not include in their sales pitch is the fact that this assumes everything is operating perfectly.

Multi engine propeller driven aircraft of under 12,500 pounds weight usually come with a performance chart named Accellerate-Stop Distance. This chart assumes a normal takeoff roll, followed by an abort decision at rotation speed on the runway and then braking to a full stop. This Accelerate-Stop Distance chart is advisory in nature only.

Turbojet aircraft are certified and operated according to a different standard, which is called Balanced Field Length. Manufacturers are required to develop performance charts that shows the distance the airplane will travel on an acceleration to decision speed (V1), abort, then decelerate to a full stop. Above the V1 speed a jet will continue its take off even if it has lost an engine. Its that powerful. Crews are required to ensure they operate the airplane from a runway that is long enough to meet the balanced field length they need given the conditions of the day. Factors that influence Balanced Field Length include the aircraft's weight, field elevation, temperature, runway conditions, runway incline or decline, and headwind or tailwind.

Given the weight of the Avanti, its high wing loadings and high airspeeds for takeoff, I believe that if anything goes wrong on the takeoff roll you will likely end up off the runway in the weeds on less than 5000 feet. This is according to the crews I've spoken to. Now it is entirely legal to fly an Avanti off of a short strip. Crews are not required to consider Balanced Field Length in their takeoff calculations. However, if you have an engine burp on you just before liftoff, the airplane will be going too fast to stop in time.

I will leave the wheels and brakes on the Avanti for another discussion. Now don't get me wrong... I think the Piaggio is a cool looking airplane, I love the stand up cabin, and I'd love to fly one! But if you want to takeoff on a 3500 foot runway you'd be better off getting a King Air if you want 2 engines.

All this discussion assumes of course that money is no object. :cool:

DD
  2. travler

travler New Member

JUDY you bring up the only problem , my budget does not meet my goal's but i will keep working on that .

matt good to see you here i'am still in ak been back and forth a few times all is well the boss is in germany now get's haome on saturday

john
  3. DieselDriver

DieselDriver New Member

John, please say hi to the boss for me. :) Hope to see you both in the near future.

DD
  4. txmark1962

txmark1962 New Member

If money were no object, it might boil down, for me at least, a choice between a Falcon 7X or a Boeing BBJ...the BBJ would allow room for a bed with en-suite so for long hauls it would be sweet to step off of the plane all squeaky clean and smelling sweet:D....

The 7X is great for shorter runway takeoffs and landing so in the end the choice would be tough! I do seem to remember reading somewhere a few years ago that the purchase price between the 7X and the BBJ was not all that much different though that might have been the difference between a G550 vs a BBJ....as I said, it was a number of years ago and i have been having more and more senior moments

Cheers,
  5. Jet News

Jet News JF News Editor Staff Member

6. Jet News

Custom Completions centers are usually responsible for making the lavish interiors that you see on many of the BBJs and ACJs you see flying around. When Money is no object to you, you can pretty much have anything you want. Here is an example of what Greenpoint Technologies conjured up for onboard a BBJ 747-8i

Attached Files:

7. Jet News

If money was no object...