Click for Bombardier Click for Hawker Click for YachtForums Click for Daher-Socata Click for Gulfstream

Abandoned Airfields

Discussion in 'Airports & FBO's' started by Kevin, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin JF Moderator

For the history buffs among us, the site below is utterly fascinating. Unfortunately it's only a database of American airfields, but nevertheless what this guy has put together is (in my opinion, at least) unparalleled.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

(I've looked around from time to time for a Canadian list, but have never found anything as complete as this one. Some info on Wikipedia is the best I've found for myself so far.)
  2. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

I came across this page a few years ago during the real estate run-up. I was looking for private airparks to purchase a lot, maybe two, thinking these properties had a good deal of upside because legislation was pending to prevent the development of future airparks and private airstrips for security reasons. In my book, that meant limited commodity!

While my crystal ball has always been cracked, I may have experienced my only clairvoyant moment. As real estate pulled in across the US, airpark properties held-up reasonably well. Today, it's probably gas prices that are limiting the upside potential of these communities.

Thanks for putting this link on JF's server Kevin! It will be a good bookmark for many.
  3. hepotec

hepotec New Member

Another website with some fascinating articles on abandoned airfields is Urban Ghosts.
  4. RicF

RicF New Member

(1) Carl - you're doing a great job with the JF site - thanks!

(2) Are you able to cite the sources for information regarding legislation relative to the development of future airparks?

(3) I have two aviation related websites - AZ Aviation Homes and AZ Aviation Properties - do you have any links or banners for my use to link to JetForums?

Thanks!
  5. JetForums

JetForums Publisher/Admin

I honestly can't recall. That was nearly 10 years ago. Following the WTC attacks, circa 2004, I came across intel that the 9/11 Commission wanted to limit the development of private airparks/airstrips, citing they could be used for terrorist activities. If I recall, the Commission wanted to shut down existing private airstrips as well, citing they were unregulated and could be used for terrorists activities. Apparently, that plan didn't fly. All puns intended.

Thanks Ric, but a banner on one of your sites wouldn't have any SEO value to me. If however, you wanted to place a link to JF on your site, I'd be a lot more inclined to overlook the keyword opportunities you've taken above. ;)